8.20.2006

 

It's best if you catch it mid-stream.

Q: Whatcha gonna do when you get out of jail?
A: I'm gonna have some fun!

Q: Are we not men?
A: We are Devo!

These are the only questions I could come up with when I asked myself about the basic inquires one might have about life.....

Stream of consciousness is interesting, I guess. The other things that came to mind were cod heads and pico-Pika...like, if Pikachu were diced, mixed with jalepenos and served as an ethnic salsa dish. It'd be an nice color, too...red and yellow....like the old Houston Rocket's uniforms.

One might dervive from this so-called "stream" that I'm obsessed, at least subconsciously, with food and pop culture. And, to this, I'd have to say:

Eh, probably.

On this note, I could probably go on a rant on why I *generally* despise the television...and, on a lesser level, the movies...and on a lesser level still, the music...but, it might as well all be the same giant mass of conglomerated soap bars as far as I'm concerned.

I take that back. I like music...even if it means having to deal with a fuck-load of stuff I don't like...and...oooookay...there's some television that I like, too....and probably some movies.

God damnit! I can stick to my guns...

Back to the stream...I really feel like singing Air Supply's "You're Every Woman in the World" in karaoke right now...and further down the stream, if you used a bamboo-rod with a decently crafted fly, you might be able to pull us back up to Devo.

That's a very strong IF.

So. De-evolution was the idea behind Devo...not too much thought should be spent on that, particularly....it's just that their music is so damn awesome and generally manages to follow this theme throughout their career. In their song "Gut Feeling", they use...what appears to be...a series of "figures of speech" or at least slight modifications of popular idioms...

I guess if you look at the song from this light, one might even conclude that the author can no longer express his feelings in his own words.

This is just my observation...but, I'm not trying to say that I'm the ONLY one that's thought this...I haven't done much research on the idea.

Why do I keep talking about this? Basically, I've spent the past 10 years (...maybe more...Gawd. I don't even know.) thinking about this shit...and, what still gets me about it, was that it was just allowed to happen.

It wasn't surrounded by media hype...multi-media reinforcement...product placement...celebrity endorcement, RIAA scrutiny, or consumer-end merchandising.

Devo's inception was pre-MTV. Pre-Star Wars. Pre-World Interweb...shit, pre-personal computer...And, sure, it's not that big of deal. But, what do you think would happen if some of their music were released today?

I guess that's what really worries me...that there will never again be any idea or a bit of imagination that doesn't draw attention before it's time...thereby, resulting in the death of a creation.

Yeah, a whole-lotta-angst with no perceivable action...including, a whole-lotta-streamy!! Just to rub it in, I'm not gonna spell check.

Comments:
wow, you are on crack! i don't think they let junkies into the "peas core". you best come get some project runway salvation tonight. 9pm.
 
i bet you could make a reasonable pico-Pika facsimile (being that availability of actual Pikachus are quite rare) with standard pico ingredients + diced yellow pepper. could be quite tasty. may be even better with the addition of bacon. mmm...bacon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?