7.14.2006
I'm going to Graceland.
My,my...life moves fast...I guess. Well, it seems like everything ELSE around me moves fast...most of the time, I feel my initiatives remain pretty stationary.
I've had it in the back of my head that I'll be moving out of my house by September 1st. I've casually thought about getting rid of some extraneous furniture (isn't it all, though?) and packing some books, but that's about it.
At the same time, I've been corresponding with my landlord about his plans to sell the property. And, apparently, this is happening NOW.
I just signed a piece of paper that permits strangers to come into my house and look around. I was also advised to "try to keep the place clean"...um, sorry, the potential buyers don't get a better show than what I live in daily....you ain't my grandma!...and that I should start packing..."the more stuff in boxes, the better!"
Hi, ummm....ouch? I've lived here for three years and treated this damn house as it were my own. I've fixed plumbing and fixture issues...painted every single room...regularly mowed the lawn...and numerous other things.
I kinda just wanted to move out of my house with out being hustled out.
I also keep telling myself that I'm not upset that the house is going to be torn down...that it doesn't bother me at all that there's a good chance that the property will be bought by an investor eager to claim the entire block for potential re-development....or better yet, by a Californian immigrant heralding the joys of "affordable housing" but grumbling about the heat and lack of beaches in central Texas....no, that doesn't bother me ONE BIT.
Pssh...it's not like it's my house or anything. So...yes...homelessness is in my near future. Where to?
I've had it in the back of my head that I'll be moving out of my house by September 1st. I've casually thought about getting rid of some extraneous furniture (isn't it all, though?) and packing some books, but that's about it.
At the same time, I've been corresponding with my landlord about his plans to sell the property. And, apparently, this is happening NOW.
I just signed a piece of paper that permits strangers to come into my house and look around. I was also advised to "try to keep the place clean"...um, sorry, the potential buyers don't get a better show than what I live in daily....you ain't my grandma!...and that I should start packing..."the more stuff in boxes, the better!"
Hi, ummm....ouch? I've lived here for three years and treated this damn house as it were my own. I've fixed plumbing and fixture issues...painted every single room...regularly mowed the lawn...and numerous other things.
I kinda just wanted to move out of my house with out being hustled out.
I also keep telling myself that I'm not upset that the house is going to be torn down...that it doesn't bother me at all that there's a good chance that the property will be bought by an investor eager to claim the entire block for potential re-development....or better yet, by a Californian immigrant heralding the joys of "affordable housing" but grumbling about the heat and lack of beaches in central Texas....no, that doesn't bother me ONE BIT.
Pssh...it's not like it's my house or anything. So...yes...homelessness is in my near future. Where to?
Comments:
<< Home
you could always move out to Albany. The doctors are cheap, things move slowly, and we have dogs. You could sponge off of us until you get deployed, then you could pay us back with free babysitting when you return.
[Wait, babysitting or dogsitting, DM?! Don't get us future godmothers all a-twitter!!]
Mel, I found a nice quote for you today:
"Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes softly and sits on your shoulder."
---Henry David Thoreau
I'm happy to help w/ the packing, especially since I have 8 zillion boxes. Lemme know.
Mel, I found a nice quote for you today:
"Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it will elude you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes softly and sits on your shoulder."
---Henry David Thoreau
I'm happy to help w/ the packing, especially since I have 8 zillion boxes. Lemme know.
I will help you with my muscles. If you sell the couch to someone who can't lift it, I'll help ya move it.
When I put the "free" sign on the shelves, I had to make two signs. The first one read "Free, please take all". I thought that might not be the best, so I made another one with a little less "rob me" to it.
Oohh, I like that quote! Wasn't it Thoreau who did the solitude thing, but when he couldn't handle it anymore he'd walk a few miles to the nearest pub and pick up his laundry? I thought I read that somewhere?
When I put the "free" sign on the shelves, I had to make two signs. The first one read "Free, please take all". I thought that might not be the best, so I made another one with a little less "rob me" to it.
Oohh, I like that quote! Wasn't it Thoreau who did the solitude thing, but when he couldn't handle it anymore he'd walk a few miles to the nearest pub and pick up his laundry? I thought I read that somewhere?
Ooh! I want the red couch! (if it hasn't been claimed already). I'll pay [quasi-]top dollar!!
Steph: I have no idea if that's true; however, I wouldn't doubt it. There's only so much solitude one can take before giving in to a rowdy night at the pub. Speaking of which...mental note: more rowdy nights at pub. Check!
Post a Comment
Steph: I have no idea if that's true; however, I wouldn't doubt it. There's only so much solitude one can take before giving in to a rowdy night at the pub. Speaking of which...mental note: more rowdy nights at pub. Check!
<< Home

