7.05.2006
Happy Berftday 'merica..
Yes...happy birthday, indeed.
I had a damn nice Fourth of July...it's the one holiday of the year that I've generally managed to not have to work, PLUS it's one of my favorites.....
Why? Because there's no real obligations associated with it. I'm not expected to attend services..be anywhere in particular...or spend it with a certain person/persons....not that I dislike spending time with anyone in particular, but I don't harbor any residual Catholic guilt when I'm not with my family on this day.
I got to sleep late...then ate some French toast (um..I mean Freedom Toast...)..watched Italia kick some ass in the World Cup Semi-Finals (yes...it's that big sport that 99% of the world refers to as football....although, we may be more familiar with the term soccer...)...enjoyed some BBQ and good company...and then fruitlessly pursued a big fireworks show in Cedar Park...BUT we all ended up hanging out and playing anyway...I really had an awesome day overall.
So, that was yesterday. Today, I started gradually working on Peace Corps stuff again, peppered with some more World Cup (eh, I only saw a little bit on a very fuzzy Univision at my house) and then I was required to go up to my employer's corporate office to sign some stuff regarding an HR transition.
Gah. Ok...first, before I start my unchecked rant for the day, I'd like to state that I really, really, really love this country. I still fully believe that I'm lucky enough to have been born in a country where you can do a whole-lotta-shit if you have the will...we also have a whole-lotta-inherent rights...whether we know about them or not....I like the Constitution and suggest that every able-minded individual give it a read and maybe some of our elected officials, too... So, anyway...I could go on about this for hours.
Anyway...that doesn't really have much to do with any of my situations...on the surface, anyway. During my company HR transition today, I was coerced by my new bosses that I should probably "...just sign it...it'll be ok."
Yikes.
If there's one type of phrase that sets off my internal "legal issues" alarm, it's that one. The particular form that I hesitated a wee bit to sign pertained to waiving my legal rights to sue in the event of an on-the-job accident.
See...I'm not a lawyer...currently, I'm a part-time, base minimum-wage-earning, delivery driver...but, the semi-educated logical side of me makes me wonder how exactly I would benefit from giving all the power regarding my health care/injuries to The Company...I should really just waive my right to litigation and allow The Company to pick a mediator if I have a problem....yes...
I should sign this form stating that all my health care and doctors connected to my work-related injury will be chosen by The Company. If I go to a doctor or hospital that The Company has not approved of, I have automatically given up my right to pursue compensation. Mind you, that because I signed this form...I've also given up my right to sue.
Remember, if The Company doctor or mediator doesn't side with me....or determines that my work environment was not at fault for my injures...oh well...sucks to be me. They won't pay for my treatment but I can't get a lawyer and sue either.
Soooo...here's where I'm stuck. Exactly what rights as an employee does this leave me? Why should I believe that The Company will act in my best interest?
Today when I was at this meeting, I asked The Company representative if my pay or employment was going to be effected if I didn't sign and turn in this form. Her general response was:
HR Lady: Well, this form just makes sure that you're going to receive payment if you get hurt on the job.
Me: Yeah...I know. But, the general summary at the end of this packet basically says that enrolling in this program waives my right to pursue litigation.
HR Lady: Yes...but, do you hurt yourself at work often?
Me: Well...I dunno. Sure...sometimes...I take it as it comes...but, that doesn't really matter right now. I just want to know if I HAVE to sign this form in order to be employed here.
HR Lady: Well, no...not really. Although, they'll probably get on your case for not signing it.
Psssh...I wonder why. When I looked up from browsing over the extensive literature, I found that I was the only one left in the meeting room...apparently, nobody else cared...or maybe they have better sense than me.
I've been pretty fortunate to not hurt myself very seriously at work...yet. I don't know what's going to happen if I end up in the ER when I break a bone because I work in an unsafe environment. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot by denying the loving care of The Company.
....sometimes...I ask myself, "Why the hell am I always thinking that corporations are out to get me...or moreover, generally inclined to make decisions that are far from my best interest?"
I believe I generally know the answer to that...at least partly. Ummm....because they're not. Individuals hardly matter to large companies....groups of individuals, maybe...but, one guy with a broken finger? Hmmm...but it would really suck to BE that guy with the unusable finger...huh.
And...think about it....Who, if ANYBODY, is inclinded to make a decisions in your best interst when it's their money at stake? Jesus? No, no....I got it...The president!
... in reality, the only entities that come to mind are myself, my close friends and family.
Whatev.
Also, a few years back I was faced with an on-going situation where I was often pressured to "just sign it"....ummmm...no? In some cases, that slight movement of your wrist can end up costing you a lot more than money.
Again....why are these people, who don't know me at all, so eager to have my name on their forms? I think I'm gonna take it home and read it first. In my very limited experience, I feel like I retain MORE rights and benefits when I withhold that signature rather than doling it out like some bank's promotional stress ball.
I can't recall one situation I've been in where someone has told me, "Whew. Good thing you signed these forms beforehand!"
...maybe I'm just paranoid...
Oh..and for the record, I don't believe in modern love either.
But...I'm happy to be a citizen of 'merica...I get to make these kinds of decisions without having a semi-automatic weapon pointed at my head...and still earn a paycheck. Umm...for now.
I had a damn nice Fourth of July...it's the one holiday of the year that I've generally managed to not have to work, PLUS it's one of my favorites.....
Why? Because there's no real obligations associated with it. I'm not expected to attend services..be anywhere in particular...or spend it with a certain person/persons....not that I dislike spending time with anyone in particular, but I don't harbor any residual Catholic guilt when I'm not with my family on this day.
I got to sleep late...then ate some French toast (um..I mean Freedom Toast...)..watched Italia kick some ass in the World Cup Semi-Finals (yes...it's that big sport that 99% of the world refers to as football....although, we may be more familiar with the term soccer...)...enjoyed some BBQ and good company...and then fruitlessly pursued a big fireworks show in Cedar Park...BUT we all ended up hanging out and playing anyway...I really had an awesome day overall.
So, that was yesterday. Today, I started gradually working on Peace Corps stuff again, peppered with some more World Cup (eh, I only saw a little bit on a very fuzzy Univision at my house) and then I was required to go up to my employer's corporate office to sign some stuff regarding an HR transition.
Gah. Ok...first, before I start my unchecked rant for the day, I'd like to state that I really, really, really love this country. I still fully believe that I'm lucky enough to have been born in a country where you can do a whole-lotta-shit if you have the will...we also have a whole-lotta-inherent rights...whether we know about them or not....I like the Constitution and suggest that every able-minded individual give it a read and maybe some of our elected officials, too... So, anyway...I could go on about this for hours.
Anyway...that doesn't really have much to do with any of my situations...on the surface, anyway. During my company HR transition today, I was coerced by my new bosses that I should probably "...just sign it...it'll be ok."
Yikes.
If there's one type of phrase that sets off my internal "legal issues" alarm, it's that one. The particular form that I hesitated a wee bit to sign pertained to waiving my legal rights to sue in the event of an on-the-job accident.
See...I'm not a lawyer...currently, I'm a part-time, base minimum-wage-earning, delivery driver...but, the semi-educated logical side of me makes me wonder how exactly I would benefit from giving all the power regarding my health care/injuries to The Company...I should really just waive my right to litigation and allow The Company to pick a mediator if I have a problem....yes...
I should sign this form stating that all my health care and doctors connected to my work-related injury will be chosen by The Company. If I go to a doctor or hospital that The Company has not approved of, I have automatically given up my right to pursue compensation. Mind you, that because I signed this form...I've also given up my right to sue.
Remember, if The Company doctor or mediator doesn't side with me....or determines that my work environment was not at fault for my injures...oh well...sucks to be me. They won't pay for my treatment but I can't get a lawyer and sue either.
Soooo...here's where I'm stuck. Exactly what rights as an employee does this leave me? Why should I believe that The Company will act in my best interest?
Today when I was at this meeting, I asked The Company representative if my pay or employment was going to be effected if I didn't sign and turn in this form. Her general response was:
HR Lady: Well, this form just makes sure that you're going to receive payment if you get hurt on the job.
Me: Yeah...I know. But, the general summary at the end of this packet basically says that enrolling in this program waives my right to pursue litigation.
HR Lady: Yes...but, do you hurt yourself at work often?
Me: Well...I dunno. Sure...sometimes...I take it as it comes...but, that doesn't really matter right now. I just want to know if I HAVE to sign this form in order to be employed here.
HR Lady: Well, no...not really. Although, they'll probably get on your case for not signing it.
Psssh...I wonder why. When I looked up from browsing over the extensive literature, I found that I was the only one left in the meeting room...apparently, nobody else cared...or maybe they have better sense than me.
I've been pretty fortunate to not hurt myself very seriously at work...yet. I don't know what's going to happen if I end up in the ER when I break a bone because I work in an unsafe environment. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot by denying the loving care of The Company.
....sometimes...I ask myself, "Why the hell am I always thinking that corporations are out to get me...or moreover, generally inclined to make decisions that are far from my best interest?"
I believe I generally know the answer to that...at least partly. Ummm....because they're not. Individuals hardly matter to large companies....groups of individuals, maybe...but, one guy with a broken finger? Hmmm...but it would really suck to BE that guy with the unusable finger...huh.
And...think about it....Who, if ANYBODY, is inclinded to make a decisions in your best interst when it's their money at stake? Jesus? No, no....I got it...The president!
... in reality, the only entities that come to mind are myself, my close friends and family.
Whatev.
Also, a few years back I was faced with an on-going situation where I was often pressured to "just sign it"....ummmm...no? In some cases, that slight movement of your wrist can end up costing you a lot more than money.
Again....why are these people, who don't know me at all, so eager to have my name on their forms? I think I'm gonna take it home and read it first. In my very limited experience, I feel like I retain MORE rights and benefits when I withhold that signature rather than doling it out like some bank's promotional stress ball.
I can't recall one situation I've been in where someone has told me, "Whew. Good thing you signed these forms beforehand!"
...maybe I'm just paranoid...
Oh..and for the record, I don't believe in modern love either.
But...I'm happy to be a citizen of 'merica...I get to make these kinds of decisions without having a semi-automatic weapon pointed at my head...and still earn a paycheck. Umm...for now.
Comments:
<< Home
Hey, I don't know about you, but Modern Love gets me to the church on time.
Anyhoo, good for you for standing up for yourself! This company of yours keeps upping the ante on crackheadedness every day. Sheesh -- next thing you know they'll be asking you to sign over your 1st born or something. You know, as collateral, just in case you take a pen from the supply cabinet home...
Keep up the good fight, darlin'. Oh, and I wholeheartedly concur on the fabulous 4th of July this year. Cloudy weather, be damned!
Anyhoo, good for you for standing up for yourself! This company of yours keeps upping the ante on crackheadedness every day. Sheesh -- next thing you know they'll be asking you to sign over your 1st born or something. You know, as collateral, just in case you take a pen from the supply cabinet home...
Keep up the good fight, darlin'. Oh, and I wholeheartedly concur on the fabulous 4th of July this year. Cloudy weather, be damned!
fight the power, mel-a-rific.
depends on your definition of "modern love," but:
Church on time - terrifies me
Church on time - makes me party
Church on time - puts my trust in God and man
depends on your definition of "modern love," but:
Church on time - terrifies me
Church on time - makes me party
Church on time - puts my trust in God and man
ok, so i can't stop:
God and man - no confessions
God and man - no religion
God and man - dont believe in modern love
and then:
Modern love - walks beside me
Modern love - walks on by
Modern love - gets me to the church on time
mr. bowie is wonderfully confused with his cyclical logic.
God and man - no confessions
God and man - no religion
God and man - dont believe in modern love
and then:
Modern love - walks beside me
Modern love - walks on by
Modern love - gets me to the church on time
mr. bowie is wonderfully confused with his cyclical logic.
Bowie aside, there is no form that can prevent an employee from suing their employer. Not that it would ever happen, but the form would not protect The Company in a case of gross negligence such as the roof caving in. Don't put too much faith in forms. A good lawyer will always find a loophole. The form just provides the Company more time and red tape to prepare a case. So sign away.
Plus, though sleazy the HR woman was right in that the form is essentially a contract guaranteeing workers comp. If they break the contract by not providing comp in any way shape or form, all bets are off.
Plus, though sleazy the HR woman was right in that the form is essentially a contract guaranteeing workers comp. If they break the contract by not providing comp in any way shape or form, all bets are off.
I feel for you, when I closed on my house there were about 300 pages worth of "it's fine just sign it." I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to the mortgage co. around page 178.
But Daniel's right, if you ever had cause to sue a lawyer would find a way around that contract.
But Daniel's right, if you ever had cause to sue a lawyer would find a way around that contract.
Now, as for finding the deep pockets with which to hire such a lawyer... well, may I suggest Lionel Hutz, Atty at Law?
If that doesn't work out, you can always pop in a dvd and play the Simpsons drinking game. (Who comes up with this stuff?!) Call me, I'll join you.
If that doesn't work out, you can always pop in a dvd and play the Simpsons drinking game. (Who comes up with this stuff?!) Call me, I'll join you.
Hmmm, seems like everyone is right, Mel. Rock on with your "I'm going to take it home and read it first" self, though. Always a good idea. But, like Daniel said, that form probably does guarantee you some things you might not otherwise have. And Ab, you did sell your soul to a mortgage company. Wait, did I say soul? I meant a quarter of every paycheck for the next 30 years. But it's all good. It's the American way. And besides, if you'd read all that crap, you'd still be at the title company. Right now. Come on, you know if your mom and I both say, "Sign it, it's fine," it probably is.
Natalie
Natalie
Yeah...I ended up signing it. And, so far, everything is fine.
I'm banking on The Company not putting me in any situation where I'll be rendered paraplegic...but if they doooo, it's on.
Post a Comment
I'm banking on The Company not putting me in any situation where I'll be rendered paraplegic...but if they doooo, it's on.
<< Home


