12.18.2004
So...You think you've got the flu...
...and other fun stories brought to you by Mel-a-rific!
One would think that this dreaded virus would make me slow down and take care of myself, but...no...that's too much to ask.
During the past two days of being achy, sleepy, sore, cranky, and feverish, I've been strangely productive. I got my car cleaned, hair cut, credit card bill settled, cleaned my house, worked constantly and made sure to hit the bar nightly...did I mention that I was asking Santa for a pneumonia for Christmas?
Yay. Oh...and on top of all this, I'll be leaving for Houston tomorrow, bright and early, in order to attend a wedding...then coming back the next day to try to figure out why the fuck I've been moving myself so frequently around this damn country.
All along, all I can think about is why the girl (a.k.a. a particular bartender that may have been mentioned in previous posts) I've been dating has been blowing me off, the impending holiday and its required gifts that I have yet to purchase, and my lack of overall personal and financial stability.
There seems to be something about this time of year that gets me overly thinking about the future and my rudimentary life goals...this inevitably leads me to depression and more beer drinking. It's an endless cycle...
The Beatles tell me that there shouldn't be enough time to hang a sign on me...but, over the past few weeks, that's all that I've felt that has been done for me. The abundance of family time that I've been exposed to has made me feel less than equipped for human existence...no boyfriend, no babies, no school and no career doesn't make for many a topic of conversation among the devout Catholics in my family...all I can say is that one night of Sunday night dancing at Elysium would be the remedy for all my woes...
One would think that this dreaded virus would make me slow down and take care of myself, but...no...that's too much to ask.
During the past two days of being achy, sleepy, sore, cranky, and feverish, I've been strangely productive. I got my car cleaned, hair cut, credit card bill settled, cleaned my house, worked constantly and made sure to hit the bar nightly...did I mention that I was asking Santa for a pneumonia for Christmas?
Yay. Oh...and on top of all this, I'll be leaving for Houston tomorrow, bright and early, in order to attend a wedding...then coming back the next day to try to figure out why the fuck I've been moving myself so frequently around this damn country.
All along, all I can think about is why the girl (a.k.a. a particular bartender that may have been mentioned in previous posts) I've been dating has been blowing me off, the impending holiday and its required gifts that I have yet to purchase, and my lack of overall personal and financial stability.
There seems to be something about this time of year that gets me overly thinking about the future and my rudimentary life goals...this inevitably leads me to depression and more beer drinking. It's an endless cycle...
The Beatles tell me that there shouldn't be enough time to hang a sign on me...but, over the past few weeks, that's all that I've felt that has been done for me. The abundance of family time that I've been exposed to has made me feel less than equipped for human existence...no boyfriend, no babies, no school and no career doesn't make for many a topic of conversation among the devout Catholics in my family...all I can say is that one night of Sunday night dancing at Elysium would be the remedy for all my woes...
Comments:
<< Home
"The abundance of family time that I've been exposed to has made me feel less than equipped for human existence...no boyfriend, no babies, no school and no career doesn't make for many a topic of conversation among the devout Catholics in my family...all I can say is that one night of Sunday night dancing at Elysium would be the remedy for all my woes..."___
I know EXACTLY how you feel. With my family, I have no boyfriend or babies to chat about either (thank god!) and no one in my family REALLY understands what it is that I do (cataloging and metadata are obscure work efforts to most people--they think as a librarian I mostly stamp books and shush people for a living). After having spent 4 months at home this summer and fall, I've tried to keep my subsequent visits home to their briefest limit.
Keep your chin up, doll. The holidays and the flu will be over soon. I, too, do my best work when i have the flu---i think it's my way of controlling the situation: if I'm sick, too bad, I'm going to get those baseboards spotless! (It could have something to do with the elevating effects of flu medication...dunno.)
And you KNOW that if I was there with you in A-town, we'd so be at Elysium Sunday night, dancing our bootys off til 2am. I'd even insist on breakfast at Magnolia afterward. Ah, nostalgia...
Post a Comment
I know EXACTLY how you feel. With my family, I have no boyfriend or babies to chat about either (thank god!) and no one in my family REALLY understands what it is that I do (cataloging and metadata are obscure work efforts to most people--they think as a librarian I mostly stamp books and shush people for a living). After having spent 4 months at home this summer and fall, I've tried to keep my subsequent visits home to their briefest limit.
Keep your chin up, doll. The holidays and the flu will be over soon. I, too, do my best work when i have the flu---i think it's my way of controlling the situation: if I'm sick, too bad, I'm going to get those baseboards spotless! (It could have something to do with the elevating effects of flu medication...dunno.)
And you KNOW that if I was there with you in A-town, we'd so be at Elysium Sunday night, dancing our bootys off til 2am. I'd even insist on breakfast at Magnolia afterward. Ah, nostalgia...
<< Home

